8 oz Uncooked angel hair pasta
32 oz San Marzano tomatoes
2 cups water
1 cup sweet onion small dice
2 tablespoons fresh chopped garlic
2 tablespoons lemongrass fresh or paste
20 Thai basil leaves-julienne or chopped
1 teaspoon dry oregano
5 tablespoons Coconut Oil- 3 tablespoons for tomato broth and 2 tablespoons for sauté vegetables
4 cups Kale-julienne or small chopped
4 cups Baby spinach
24 pieces Baby shiitake mushroom or 12 Shiitake mushrooms-quarter
Kosher salt-to taste
Cracked black pepper-to taste
1. Bring water ( 3 quarts per lb. of pasta) to boil. Add a pinch of salt and pasta, stir. Cook until ” al dente” ( firm to the bite ), approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain pasta in a colander.
Preparing the lemongrass tomato broth with Thai basil
1. Place whole plum tomatoes in blender and purée till smooth for 1 minute or less.
2. Add coconut oil in hot pan, add chopped garlic, lemongrass, Thai Basil and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes. Smell the ingredients come together with a unique aroma.
3. Add tomato purée and water to the mixture, bring to a boil and medium simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Taste the broth to adjust the flavors with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. You can add sugar to sweeten the broth. For a spicy flavor, add sirracha, chili flakes or tabasco.
Tips: Use less water for a thicker broth.
Preparing the kale, spinach and baby shiitake mushrooms
1. Add coconut oil to hot sauté pan, add kale and mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes, add spinach and season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
2. Place pasta into serving bowl, pour tomato broth and garnish with vegetables.
Substitution-use any types of pasta, mushrooms, or vegetables with this dish.
1. Medium pot for pasta
2. Medium pot for broth
3. Sauté pan for vegetables